Sunday, April 17, 2011

Curried Red Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup

This recipe is from http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=328040. I made some changes and I love the taste.

Ingredients

    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 large onions, thinly sliced
    • 5 teaspoons curry powder( I used 1 tbsp curry powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 5 cups vegetable broth
    • 1 lb swiss chard, tough stalks removed, coarsely chopped
    • 2 cups about 14 ounces dried red lentils( I used 1 cup lentil)
    • 1 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained 
    • I added 1 can tomato pure  
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 6 tablespoons thick Greek yogurt, thinned with 2 T. water
    • 1 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and thinly sliced
    • 1 limes, cut into six wedges

Directions

  1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until light gold, about 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in curry and cayenne. Add 4 cups broth and chard. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring, until chard is wilted.
  3. Stir in lentils and chickpeas. Lower heat to low. Cover and simmer 16 - 18 minutes, stirring twice, until lentils are tender.
  4. Remove from heat. Puree half of it; return to pot. Stir in last cup of broth and salt. Warm over low for 2 minutes. ( I didn't pure it)
Put into bowls. Top with thinned yogurt. Garnish with slices of jalapeno and lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Biber dolmasi ( stuffed peppers )

    This dish is very common dish in Turkey. I used to cook it top of the stove but I use slow cooker now. It works very well. I prepare it ...