Monday, January 31, 2011

Biber dolmasi ( stuffed peppers )

   This dish is very common dish in Turkey. I used to cook it top of the stove but I use slow cooker now. It works very well. I prepare it at night and set up in the morning. I have food when I come  home. I love the smell of food after working all day.

 Ingredients
6 small red peppers, washed and tops cut off carefully (will be put back on after stuffing, and the insides cleaned out of seeds, spine, etc.)
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup chopped fresh parsley,
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill,
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint,
2 medium, ripe tomatoes, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon tomatoes paste
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1 medium-large yellow onion, finely chopped
the juice from 1/2 lemon, fresh squeezed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
 2 cups filtered water or broth                                        
1  tsp sea salt or salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Yogurt Sauce
1 cup plain yogurt
1 garlic cloves minced
salt
Mix them well
  Directions
  1. Put red peppers, olive oil, tomatoes paste and water/broth aside.
  2. Mix all the other ingredients well.
  3. Stuff the red peppers equally. Put their “hats” back on.
  4. Place stuffed peppers upright in a pot big/small enough to prop them all up.
  5. Pour the olive oil and tomatoes paste over the stuffed peppers.
  6. Cover with water or broth.
  7. Bring to a boil on high heat; then reduce to medium heat.
  8. Cook until done, about 40-45 minutes, when the rice is visibly cooked through.
  9. I used slow cooker this time. I set up 8 hours slow. It cooked very well. 
  10. Serve with garlic yogurt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Biber dolmasi ( stuffed peppers )

    This dish is very common dish in Turkey. I used to cook it top of the stove but I use slow cooker now. It works very well. I prepare it ...