Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ispanakli borek (Spinach borek )

This is very common Turkish dish. I made my own recipe. My friend always want me to bring this dish if I visit them. Everyone loves it.

Ingredients
1 package Athens regular filo dough
 Liquid mixture
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Spinach filing
2 package frozen chopped spinach
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 big onion chopped
1 lb crumbled feta cheese
 salt and pepper

Preparation Method
For the spinach filing put the olive oil and onion in a pan. Cook 2-3 minutes and then add spinach, salt and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes. Add the feta cheese and put aside.
Meanwhile, prepare liquid mixture to brush pastry sheet. Beat eggs, oil, and milk together.
Oil baking dish, spread one of the pastry sheets. Pour 2-3 tbsp liquid mixture and brush that evenly. Spread another pastry sheet and brush with liquid mixture again. Repeat the process until you complete 10 pastry sheets for bottom.
Spread spinach filling evenly to the surface. Place one of the pastry sheets on top of spinach filling. Brush it with liquid mixture. Do the same thing for remaining pastry sheets and liquid mixture.
When you are done, cut Turkish Borek into medium squares. Brush rest of the liquid  mixture and then bake it in pre-heated 350 F for about 45 minutes or golden brown. 

2 comments:

  1. I just prepared this for the first time and the recipe is perfect. My results looked just like Handan's picture here. I took it to a quilting guild picnic and it was a best seller, just behind home-made sticky buns. I guess the sweet tooth prevails over spinach and cheese for some but not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that my recipe worked very well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

Biber dolmasi ( stuffed peppers )

    This dish is very common dish in Turkey. I used to cook it top of the stove but I use slow cooker now. It works very well. I prepare it ...