Sunday, January 23, 2011

Turkish lamb stew

I didn't cook this dish today.  I have already picture for the stew and cooked  it couple of times so I decided to post it today. My mom never made Turkish stew with olives and I never think that it works. I tried this recipe and love it.
 I found this recipe cook book called What's cooking One Pot by Tom Kitch.

Ingredients

12 oz/350 g lean boneless lamb
1 large  onion
6 garlic cloves
1 red and yellow bell pepper
coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tomatoes peeled and coarsely chopped
1 /12 tsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried sage ( I didn't use it )
1/2 dried dill ( I used fresh dill chopped )
salt and pepper
12 oz /350 g potatoes
6-8 black olives, halved and pitted 
crusty bread and rice to serve


Preparation Method
Cut the lamb into 3/4-inch /2 cm cubes. discarding any excess fat.
Put into a pan heat gently until the fat runs and the meat begins the seal.
Cut the onion int 8 wedges. Add to the lamb with the garlic and fry for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Add the bell peppers ,stock, vinegar, tomatoes,  tomato paste, bay leaf, ,and dill and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Peel the potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch/2 cm cubes. Add the stew and stir well. If necessary, add a little more boiling water or stock. Re-cover the pan and simmer for an additional 25-30 minutes or until tender.
Stir in the olives and adjust the seasoning. simmer for an additional 5 minutes and serve with rice and crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Biber dolmasi ( stuffed peppers )

    This dish is very common dish in Turkey. I used to cook it top of the stove but I use slow cooker now. It works very well. I prepare it ...